Wednesday 26 June 2013

Traditional Red Bean Ice Cream - without egg (Ais Krim Potong) 红豆雪条 - 无蛋版


Ice cream potong is one of the most popular local snacks. Our parents ate them when they were young, they bought us it when we were young, we got them in the school canteen, we buy them for kids, etc. I guess everyone love ice cream potong. They come in many flavours including red bean, sweet corn, chocolate, durian etc. My favourite (influenced by my dad) is of course red bean. We can hardly see ice cream potong at stores now but we would definitely buy some if we see it. I made red bean ice cream the other day using egg yolks (I do not really like that recipe because I do not like to waste the egg whites :() but cannot help myself when I found this recipe which I could imagine the childhood taste of memory straight away. 

I found the ingredients in no time and made it using the very 'Malaysian' recipe but I have modified the ingredients a little. It turned out really nice and soft. The ice cream melts in your mouth and you can feel  the flavour of coconut milk and red bean dancing together. They are sooooo good! 

Ingredients:
140g Caster Sugar
4tbsp Milk powder
200ml Water
2tbsp Corn Flour
30ml Water
200ml Coconut Milk
250g Red bean paste (lightly sweetened)


Steps:
1. In a pot, add sugar, milk powder, 200ml of water and cook over medium heat. Keep stirring until the sugar is dissolved. (Do not boil the mixture.)
2. Add the corn flour and 30ml of water into the pot and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stir constantly while boiling. 
3. Red bean paste and coconut milk can now be added into the mixture and whisk to combine everything together. Heat it over medium heat until it boils.
4. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into ice cream moulds and let it cool to room temperature. Send it into the freezer and freeze for at least 8 hours. (I found it they taste better after they are completely frozen after about 24 hours.) Enjoy!

Tips:
  • You can use canned red bean paste instead of home made but they are normally heavily sweetened so better taste it before using and reduce the sugar in the recipe accordingly.
  • You can substitute the coconut milk with milk if you want to or mix half amount of the coconut milk with milk. They are all fine.
Happy Trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment